Econex has been closely involved in many of the competition investigations that have taken place in South Africa’s airline industry. We understand the importance of South Africa having a globally competitive aviation sector, and efficient transport sector.
Our experience in the aviation and transport sectors include:
- Assisted SAA in the defence of their loyalty agreements with travel agents.
- Assisted SAA with the competition implications of their joining the Star Alliance.
- Analysed the impact of frequent flyer programmes for SAA.
- Advised the National Treasury in the Comair complaint against SAA being awarded a R5.6 billion guarantee, and the extension thereof.
- Advised the South African Car Transporters Association on the decision of the Department of Transport to withdraw the allocation of abnormal load permits for car carriers.
- Provided expert advice for 1Time in the complaint against Comair for the exclusive lease of Lanseria airport, with a focus on the efficiency gains of transaction specific investments.