Econex has advised leading companies operating in South Africa’s energy market. Besides our involvement in a number of large mergers and acquisitions in this sector, we have also conducted economic impact studies, sector studies and regulatory research relevant to the energy sector.
Examples of our work in the energy sector:
- Advised and represented BPSA/Masana in their opposition of the Uhambo (Sasol/Engen) merger in 2005.
- Conducted regulatory research for BPSA, looking at the tariffs for the Multi Products Pipeline. Prof Theron testified before NERSA on the correct pipeline tariff levels and methodology.
- Conducted macro-economic forecasts for BPSA and have advised Shell on macro-economic issues, specifically around the joint ownership (with BPSA) of the SAPREF refinery.
- Conducted a macro-economic impact study for Chevron
- Analysed the economics of the proposed import terminal in the Cape Harbour.
- Advised Raubex on the sale of Sasol’s bitumen division, approved in 2012.
- Analysed Engen’s position in the bitumen supply chain to provide input into the settlement agreement with the Competition Commission.
- Conducted research on Engen’s position in the diesel market, in relation to the Commission’s investigation of horizontal collusion in diesel markets.
- Completed an economic impact assessment on the construction of a north-to-south gas pipeline in Mozambique.
- Evaluated the dynamics of South Africa’s coal market and the implications that this holds for Eskom’s coal supply.