Food and Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG)
South Africa’s food sector and the broader agricultural sector have been receiving much attention due to a rapid increase in food prices. Econex has provided economic analyses to a number of players in this market, focusing on many important sectors such as grain, dairy, fresh produce, etc.
Examples of our work in the retail and consumer sector:
- Advised Pick ‘n Pay on the merger with Score supermarkets.
- Advised Pick ‘n Pay on the proposed merger with Fruit & Veg City, which was terminated after the Competition Commission recommended that this merger should be prohibited by the Competition Tribunal.
- Involved in a five year review for the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) on how competition policy has affected all levels of the food supply chain in SA.
- Advised a large dairy company and a grain company in allegations of price fixing and market division against them.
- Gave evidence before the Competition Tribunal in the abuse of dominance case against Senwes.
- Investigated changes in the dairy supply chain and regulatory issues in the food sector.
- Assisted Shoprite in their response to the Grocery Market Inquiry as well as exclusive leases in shopping centres.